About Me

My photo
I am working toward two masters degrees in Architecture and Integrated Building Delivery at the Illinois Institute of Technology. After a year of neglect, I hope this blog will help me document my working process, and I hope you enjoy checking out what I do.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Get with the PROGRAM!

As mentioned, my next post will be dedicated to the development of program for the current project.  At first the class decided upon a "backbone" of sorts, a generic program that stipulated food access in the form of retail opportunities and restaurants, business incubation in the form of rentable kitchens, an educational component with necessary admin, community spaces such as meeting/eating spots and event spaces, and finally, support for students and employees, including child care and technology access.  At this point, we were instructed to anticipate an "OTHER" in our program as something non-related to accompany the backbone program.  In personalizing the programs, we could make them more rich and interesting.

From there, the class broke down into smaller groups focusing on one of three foci in an elaborated program:
  • education or incubation emphasis
  • distribution emphasis
  • food growth/aquaponics emphasis
In the distribution emphasis group, we developed 4 program varieties that could be used to inform other groups' programs if they were interested in incorporating distribution models, and others that focused on distribution as either an on-site or off-site idea.  Here is a condensed look at them:
We analyzed the appropriate placing of each piece of program on the site in all 3 dimensions as well as how the building entries should respond to the surrounding site.
 Following this blog, I will start posting drawings from my sketchbook that helped me figure out my individual program and how to respond to the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment!