About Me

My photo
I am working toward two masters degrees in Architecture and Integrated Building Delivery at the Illinois Institute of Technology. After a year of neglect, I hope this blog will help me document my working process, and I hope you enjoy checking out what I do.

Monday, August 2, 2010

About the title and my program of study

I am lovingly calling this blog "architorture" in homage to the nickname given to the undergraduate architecture program at Washington University in St. Louis.  I graduated from that university with a double-major Bachelors of Fine Arts in Sculpture and Film/Media Studies.  This last Spring, I also graduated from Harrington College of Design with an Associates of Applied Sciences in Interior Design.

I am very anxious and excited to start the Masters in Architecture program at the end of August.  Their program was founded by Mies van der Rohe in an attempt to make the "American Bauhaus" after fleeing from Nazi Germany.  It's nice to feel part of a tradition such as this.  Our main building is Crown Hall, a smart and simple building with grand uninterrupted space inside flooded with natural light.  (For more information, visit http://www.iit.edu/arch/crown_hall/ )

In keeping with the "architorture" theme, I just bought Physics for Dummies and Calculus for Dummies.  Since I have not used or studied either for years now, it is a must for me.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I remember when my 1st husband went to Architorture school at University of Illinois. Apparently he was at the top of his class for three years and then decided to drop out one month shy of graduation. I was heartbroken having worked to put him through school and put my education on hold. I remember the 22 hour days/nights. I remember raising my son by myself but mostly I remember going in to see the head of the department who requested a farewell meeting with Steve (I guess to disuade him from his course of action). The man gave me a withering look down the end of his pointy nose and said, "Young lady, I know you are tired of the sacrifices but you must be patient so that Steve can complete his degree." I was so mortified and angry all I could do was cry. That is my memory of architorture school.....I'm so glad times have changed, or have they? Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!